(StatePoint) Spring is a great time to refresh your home. Whether you’re planning a major clean sweep or just giving problem areas a little extra TLC, experts say that a few simple strategies will make the job easier and the fruits of your labor last longer.
“When tackling your spring cleaning, checklists are key. The best thing you can do is to plan ahead and make sure you have everything you need to get the job done, which will save loads of time. Second, work room by room until each area is clean. Jumping place to place makes accomplishments take longer and it’s harder to see big results,” says Erin Chase, founder of 5DollarDinners.com, mom of four and “Cleanfluencer” for AlEn USA.
To make larger spring cleaning tasks easier and keep your house smelling fresh every day, Chase is sharing her top hacks to get the best results from those larger cleaning tasks:
1. Create cleaning caddies for every bathroom, the kitchen and garage. Having all of your supplies ready for quick touchups and cleaning saves tons of time.
“For super fast touchups, I keep a canister of cleaning wipes handy. I prefer naturally-derived Art of Green wipes because they seriously cut through scum, and the scents are amazing. Best of all, they’re safe for use around kids and pets and protect sensitive skin,” says Chase.
2. “Clean” your cleaning supplies. Deodorize your mop by adding 3/4 cups Pinalen Original to a gallon of water, soak your mop for an hour, scrub and rinse.
“I switched to Pinalen Original because it is made with real pine oil, which makes it a powerful multipurpose cleaner. Plus, I love the scent,” adds Chase.
3. To really disinfect and deep clean non-porous floors, add 1/3 cup of CLORALEN Disinfectant Bleach to 1.5 gallons of water and mop or scrub and let dry. You’ll be surprised what comes off and how much they’ll sparkle.
4. To sanitize countertops, kitchen sinks and the outside of appliances, mix 1 tablespoon of bleach with 1 gallon of water and apply. Let stand for at least two minutes and dry.
5. To clean baseboards without bending and crawling, rubber band a microfiber cloth over the bristles of a broom. Spray the cloth with your favorite cleaner and scrub. No aching back!
6. To make an easy shower door scum remover: mix four parts water to one part fabric softener like Ensueño Max, spray onto scum, wipe off with a sponge and rinse with warm water.
With a plan of attack and the right tools and strategies, your spring clean can be fast, efficient and painless.
Photo Credit: (c) Prostock-Studio / iStock via Getty Images Plus