On Tuesday, Oct. 4 the Cut Bank Middle School 6/7th and eighth-grade teams traveled to Browning for a game on the new turf.

The 6/7th grade team kicked off the evening. They started out slow with a turnover on downs and then allowed a quick score by Browning to go down 6-0. From that point on the game would belong to Cut Bank. The Wolves responded with a rushing touchdown from Austin Carney, who had six touchdowns on the day, including a 94-yard scamper and a 65-yard kickoff return. He also broke many long runs that put the Wolves in the red zone.

Bodie Barbie added a 40-yard touchdown pass to Brett Burdeau, who trucked two defenders and dragged one with him to the end zone. Burdeau also had a 2-yard touchdown run for the Wolves. Tyler Raines and Burdeau also added a 2-point conversion each to help the Wolves to a 52-22 victory.

On the day, the defense forced four fumbles, and Chase Marble had an interception.

“It was fun to get out and play game here on this turf and come away with a win,” coach Brandon Furr said. “The kids loved the experience. I wish I had someone keeping stats. I feel Carney probably had 300 yards rushing, and our offense probably put up 400 yards. Our defense also balled out and really got after Browning. We gave up a few big plays, but that’s football.”

After that game, the eightth-grade Wolves took the field for their matchup. Things did not start well for the Wolves. The offense failed to convert on an early fourth down and short. Browning took over at the 40-yard line and ended up scoring on that possession.

The Wolves responded with a 10-yard touchdown run from Kyler Blocker. The 2-point conversion failed. It was 8-6 Browning at the end of the first.

After that moment it was a defensive battle until the middle of the third quarter, when Browning scored again. The Wolves had many drives where they moved the ball downfield but struggled to put it in the end zone.

As the game got closer to ending the Wolves were forced to go for many fourth downs inside their own 30 yard line. The defense played well but broke down late in the game. Kadigan Yttredahl came away with an interception for the Wolves. Browning ended up pulling away and winning 26-6.

“I thought we played really well today,” Furr said. “We had a few things that did not go our way, a dropped touchdown pass, an overthrown touchdown pass, and two fumbles got us early on and set the tone for the day. It was a good learning experience for us and we know what we need to fix. They played super well and played their hearts out until the end. The offense moved the ball really well and the defense made many stops, we are looking forward to our next games.”

The Wolves had an amazing opportunity to travel to Fairfield on Friday, Oct. 7 to take on the Eagles under the lights. The combined 6/7th team started off the evening by getting the ball first and marching down the field to score in five plays. The Wolves ran the ball on all five plays, and it was finished by Kadigan Yttredahl scoring from 25 yards out. The two-point conversion failed.

The offense for the middle school Wolves sputtered until mid fourth quarter. With the score still 6-0, Tyler Raines broke off a huge 40-yard run to set the Wolves up at the 30-yard line of the Eagles. On the very next play, Austin Carney finished it with a rushing touchdown and the two-point conversion was no good for a lead of 12-0.

Defense was the theme of the night for the 6/7th grade Wolves. It was a dominating effort holding Fairfield to zero points. The defense was led by Justus Cassidy and Chase Marble in the secondary. They were flying around and laying huge hits on the ball carriers all night. Kade Houghson, Jhett Kennerly, and Ethan Bear Child all added sacks on the night as well.

“It was a great experience for the kids to get a taste of Friday night lights,” Furr said. “We were excited with how they went out and played and it is always a great night when you can shut out your opponent.”

The eighth-grade Wolves would have a night to forget. From the kickoff, it was all Eagles. The Wolves went three and out to start, and then Fairfield returned the punt for the touchdown. After the kickoff the Wolves fumbled, and that was turned into an Eagle touchdown quickly.

The Wolves found themselves in a 35-0 hole at the half and the game finished 55-0. Overall, the offense struggled to move the ball and sustain drives. Kyler Blocker ripped off a few long runs and Ray Dagel moved the ball well off of screens. When Fairfield faced long fields the Wolves’ defense was able to hold them out of the endzone.

“It was a tough night for us, Fairfield came out and outphysicaled us and dominated the line of scrimmage,” Furr said. “We had a couple of bounces that didn’t go our way and it was tough to overcome, but that’s football. I was proud of how we continued to fight and finished the game.”

The Wolves finished out their season on Tuesday, after this publication went to press.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.