Glacier County’s primary election will be held on June 2, 2020. Anyone interested in running for one of the two Glacier County offices up for election in 2020 can file a “Declaration For Nomination” at the Glacier County Clerk and Recorder’s office beginning Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. 

The declarations will be accepted through March 9, 2020.

County positions up for election are:

•District II (East Glacier area) Commissioner 

•Clerk of District Court

All candidates for county office must be at least 18 years of age, a registered voter in Glacier County and a citizen of Montana. 

The current office holder for District II County Commissioner is Tom McKay. 

District II is made up of voting precincts 10, 8, 7 and part of precinct 5, which is only everything south of U.S. Highway 2. District II does not include precincts 9, 13, 12 or 21C, which are located in Browning.

Commissioner candidates should verify they live within the boundaries of the district prior to filing at the County Clerk and Recorder’s Office prior to filing.

A Commissioner candidate must be a registered elector residing in the District II and in Glacier County for two years prior to the general election. A commissioner’s term of office is six years, with one commissioner being elected every two years. The filing fee for this position is .5% of the annual salary of $48,641.32, which is $243.21.

The position of Clerk of District Court, currently held by Janine Scott, will also appear on the ballot. The filing fee for Clerk of District Court is .5% of the annual salary of $48,641.32, which amounts to $243.21.

Property ownership is not a requirement for holding any office and the filing fees are set according to state law at a rate of one-half of one percent of the total annual salary. 

Any person interested in filing for a county office should contact the Clerk and Recorder’s office located on the main floor of the county courthouse to obtain the correct forms. At the time of filing for office, the person must meet the requirements for the position and pay the filing fee. Provision is made for indigent individuals to provide other documents in lieu of filing fees.

Anyone having questions relating to the elections is encouraged to stop in the Clerk and Recorder’s office or call 873-3609. Election Administrator Crystal Cole and Election Assistant Melanie Heavy Runner are also available to answer questions at 873-3604 and 873-8560, respectively.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.